Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Staying on the Path

It's winter here in Oklahoma. Really winter, not the spring-like winters we've experienced in the past. The sun is shining today though, and I wanted to go outside for a short walk. It was a bit tricky to stay on my walking path because it's covered in snow right now.

When weather permits, I like to go walking outdoors. Not only is it great exercise, I have found it to be good for my spirit too. The Lord and I have a lot of good talks on my walks, and I also pray for others while I'm walking.

A few years ago, I began walking in our large backyard instead of down our road. The walks were becoming more of a drudgery than enjoyment as our road became more like a mini highway, and traffic seemed to be moving faster and faster. Not very peaceful for walking, or for my nerves.

We have a couple of acres of land, so I would be taking my walks on the back acre, which wasn't very tame at the time. My son and I had done a lot of nature studies back there, and really enjoyed exploring there, but, I wasn't quite sure how my walking routine would work when I first began. It was a bit of an obstacle course in the beginning, but, over time, as I walked the same route each day, a path began to emerge. Most days my son would join me, and in some areas our paths began to resemble tire tracks. Almost like a four-wheeler had been making the path.

We throughly enjoyed our walks and talks. Even the dogs, sometimes the cats too, would go with us. It became a routine thing, everyone looked forward to the walks. As my son got older, and our schedules changed, he didn't join me as much on the walks. One day when we were walking together, he noticed that his path wasn't as clear anymore. Since he hadn't been following it as often, the grass was starting to grow over it in some places. That reminded me of how following the Lord can be.

As we read and study the bible, pray and spend time with the Lord, His will for us becomes clearer. But, when we neglect spending time with Him, and in His word, it becomes harder for us to see the path He's leading us on. We get off the path, and can go in directions that aren't in His will for us at all. My son and I talked about these things and how important it is for us to stay on the path.

I also had another thought as we noticed how in some areas our paths became one, and in others, they were separated a lot, usually by a large tree or pile of brush. That reminded me of how our walk with the Lord can be. The more we study His word, pray and spend time with Him, the closer our walk with Him will be. At times, we will be as one, His will becomes my will.

Being human, I know I won't be in God's will at all times, but my desire is to seek His will in everything, and to walk with Him as closely as possible. I want to stay on the path, His perfect path for me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose: How absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad you've started walking on this new path. The sharing of your experience and how you relate it to the Lord in your life is uplifting and encouraging. God has blessed you with this gift. Thank you for finally sharing it with the world. If I EVER figure out how to add links to my blog I will link you up with me. This is soooooo exciting. Grace be yours, selahV

Anonymous said...

Rose: Your beautiful words about your walk with the Lord are truly inspiring! Isn't it incredible how God gives us those awesome moments to experience His gifts with new understanding? Your love and senstivity to the Lord are so apparent in the words that you write.

Ramblin' Rose said...

Dear Selah,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. And, for your loving, continual encouragement for me to blog. I wouldn't be here if not for you.

Love to you,
Rose

Ramblin' Rose said...

Dear tnt,

Thank you, for your very sweet encouragement. It means a lot to me! And, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog.

God bless you,
Rose

Anonymous said...

Rose: You are welcome. I've figured out how to link you to my sites. Go to my site and click on my ABOUT link above my hand and Bible. You will see yourself. :)
SelahV

Brittney said...

Ah, such a sweet, inspiring post! I love how you parallel that walking trail with our walk with God. What a challenging thought! Keep up the good work! Lovely blog you have here ;)