Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Source of Stress


God wants His sheep to learn how to get quiet, to lie down in green pastures, and to drink from still waters. Do you know the reason why we are stressed? Because we think our needs are not going to be met.

Jesus said, "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? . . . But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:25-26, 33).


What do people worry about? Food, clothing, shelter. Jesus said we're not to worry about these things. Now, He didn't say these things were not important. But He said these things don't take significance until your deepest needs are met. You are to find your satisfaction in Him. If you don't find your satisfaction in Him, you're going to be stressed.
Adrian Rogers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find my needs are so very few. it's the wants that trip me up. if I'm guilty of fretting at all it is because something doesn't go my way, when I want it to. selahV

love the picture. Is that a little bird on the plant that looks like it is upside down?

Ramblin' Rose said...

Selah,

I think I get my needs and wants mixed up sometimes..lol..I think I need something, but I really just want it.

That's an American Goldfinch eating sunflower seeds out of a sunflower...he was so cute.

Anonymous said...

Rose~~I've seen them but didn't know they like the sunflower seeds.
Why do birds come to my feeders and dump all the seed on the ground instead of eating it from the feeders? do I need a different feeder? It's so messy on the ground and because they do that, the lawn is dying from their picking and pecking after the seeds fall.
~~~~~
I'm getting much better at discerning wants from needs. It's so much freedom in knowing the difference. Self-control isn't even necessary. The spirit does it all once you figure out how to see the wants for what they are. selahV

Ramblin' Rose said...

Selah,

I don't know why birds would dump the seed on the ground, unless they are ground feeders and prefer it on the ground. Do you know what kind of birds they are?